Filmmaker frequently asked questions

Select a link to view the answer to that question:

For all filming in Royal Greenwich it is best to submit a filming application form or email a brief outline to Once received, we will either suggest suitable locations or check if a specific location is available for filming. We will then advise you on the next step to process your application.

Important: Filming cannot be agreed without proof of Public Liability Insurance; the minimum cover we require is £5million.

If you’re not sure about a location please call us on 020 8921 6048/6146 or email

As much time as possible! However, we know that it is not always feasible. We have worked in the industry for many years and are accustomed to having to work to short notice and with tight deadlines. We will always try to help you with your requests as soon as we can. If your request is urgent, please do not hesitate to contact us.

A filming licence is required unless you fall under legal street filming. The street filming guidelines are:

  • You are a crew and cast of less than five people.
  • You are using a handheld camera, sensible sized tripod and/or a handheld sound kit.
  • You have public liability insurance of at least £5million.
  • You do not require additional equipment.
  • You do not require a road or path closure.
  • You will not be disrupting members of the public.
  • You will not be causing any obstruction on the public highway.

If all of the above applies to your shoot then you will not require a filming permit. We do however ask that you submit a filming application form so that we have all relevant details on our system in case of queries from members of the public.

If you require official paper work for peace of mind we offer a Notice of No Objection for £50 + VAT. Please note however that this is not a legal requirement.

Filming charges are very much dependent on the location, type and length of shoot taking place. All fees are therefore negotiable. View a guide of our current price list (rate card).

The main differences are that we ask for a minimum of two weeks notice and we also try and reduce fees as much as possible. More information: student filming guidelines

We always aim to assess requests as soon as possible and usually within two working days. This will depend on how busy the department is and how urgent your request is.

Parking enquiries are dealt directly by our Parking Dept. You will need to submit a parking application form. Once you have submitted your form you can email our Parking Dept on

For notice periods and charges please use the following links:

Film Parking Permit:

We offer a maximum of six film parking permits per day with a vehicle height limit of 3 metres and width of 1.95 metres. The permit entitles the vehicle to be parked in any marked permit or shared use bay within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. The fee is £35 + VAT per permit. We require a minimum of three working days’ notice. To request a permit you will need to submit a parking application form.

It is always advisable to inform Police of any filming or photography taking place. The Police contact is the MPS Film Unit. To contact them, please call 020 3054 5555 or email

Please refer to our emergency contacts page for details.