Please Note: We currently require a minimum of 8 working days notice for commercial filming/photography requests

Student Notice: We currently aren’t accepting student requests. This will be reviewed in April.

Select a link to view the answer to that question:

A minimum of 3 weeks’ notice is required for student requests.

Students wishing to film in Royal Greenwich may send details of their enquiry to

A Film Officer will assess your request, advise accordingly and if necessary ask you to fill out a filming application.

Before permission is granted a copy of your college/university public liability insurance must be submitted. The minimum cover requirement is £5million.

On signing the licence you agree to provide Film Greenwich with a copy of the production and an end credit.

Do you come under the Street Filming Guidelines?

  • Filming on a public highway only - no private roads
  • You are a crew and cast of five or less people
  • You are using a handheld camera, tripod and a handheld sound kit
  • You have public liability insurance of at least £5million
  • You do not require additional equipment
  • You do not require a road or path closure
  • You will not be using any special effect
  • You will not be disrupting members of the public
  • You will not use real or replica weapons
  • You will not film scenes involving violence or nudity
  • You will not obstruct entrances to business or residential properties
  • You will not be causing any obstruction on the public highway
  • All filming activity will take place after 8am and before 9pm

If all of the above applies to your shoot you will not require a filming permit. We do however ask that you submit a filming application so that we have all relevant details on our system in case of queries from members of the public. Also, please note that the above applies to council owned streets/footpaths only. All our parks and open spaces require a filming licence to be obtained prior to filming.

If you require official paper work for peace of mind we offer a Notice of No Objection for £30 + VAT. Please note that this is not a legal requirement.

For filming where requirements are greater than those set out above a, permit will be required. A reduced student rate of £50 + VAT for a maximum of 4 hours on location will be applicable for simple shoots. Subsequent hours will be charged between £15–£25 + VAT per hour. More complex requests are charged at £50 per hour plus any additional costs. The Film Unit will always endeavour to provide approximate costs on receipt of a filming application form.

We manage and licence filming at all Council owned properties, parks and streets in the borough. If you would like to film at a private location you will need to seek permission from the owner of the site.

If your location search is for a residential property, a shop or a restaurant it is advisable to speak to family and friends in the first instance as fees are generally applicable when filming at these types of locations.

As per any filming request for a public highway our Highways Dept will need to approve the filming activity. Residents will also need to be consulted about your shoot via a letter drop. The letter will need to be approved by us before it is sent out. You can use our template residents letter. Residents require 5-20 working days notice depending on the level of filming activity. We have to allow a minimum of 5 working days for residents to raise any concerns that they may have.

Please note that we charge an admin fee of £35 + VAT to oversee the residents consultation. The fee covers our time to review/amend the letter, consult Wards Councillors and deal with queries from our residents. We will increase the admin fee if we have to allocate a substantial amount of time to deal with many complaints/concerns from residents.

We do not allow student filming at any of our cemeteries. This is because they are a sensitive location and we must limit the level of disruption to these sites.

A minimum of 3 weeks’ notice is applicable for all student filming/photography requests.

You can apply for parking via our filming application. Our Parking Dept will receive your parking request and reply directly to you. They require 10 working days notice for all requests. Please see parking fees below.

Bay Suspension £51
Single Yellow Line Dispensation £25.50
Film Parking Permit £35

Our Parking Dept also charge a non-refundable administration fee of £50 for all approved suspension applications.

Film Parking Permit:

We offer a maximum of six film parking permits per day with a vehicle height limit of 3 metres and width of 1.95 metres. The permit entitles the vehicle to be parked in any marked permit or shared use bay within the Royal Borough of Greenwich. The fee is £35 + VAT per permit. We require a minimum of five working days’ notice. To request a permit you will need to submit a filming application.

Please note that we cannot licence student filming that involves the use of replica weapons in a public space. We can consider licensing the use of replica weapons inside a building only provided that you contact the Met Police Film Unit and are given a weapon CAD No. To contact them please call 020 3054 5555 or email

Filming involving special effects will require a risk assessment/method statement to be submitted prior to a licence being issued.

If you are interested in sourcing funding for your project, please refer to the Film London website for a current list of funding pots available.